Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Raccoon attack

In the latest rodent-human interaction, Tennessee women's basketball coach Pat Summitt dislocated her shoulder fighting a raccoon. Jim Rome, humbly described on his Web site as "perhaps the most respected voice in the world of sports broadcasting," shared his admiration for the coach this way:

I don’t think Jim Calhoun is going to throw with a possum in his backyard. Or, ‘Coach K’ is going to get after a beaver!

The full take is here.

CORRECTION: Raccoons are in fact more closely related to weasels, cats, bear-dogs, pandas and seals than squirrels or rats. Raccoons are not rodents. All the more reason to be impressed with beating up a raccoon.

1 comment:

arafura14 said...

I saw a super fat squirrel climbing a tree between the sidewalk and street during my run yesterday, about 10 feet above my head. I'm always shocked to see them in broad daylight. Thankfully, it treated me more respectfully than the LSD red-wing blackbirds!