Monday, June 18, 2007

Melancholy rainbow

The following items range from the absurd to the horrifying. First the horror: a boy was dragged from his tent and killed by a black bear yesterday in Utah. Could there be anything more frightening in the wilderness? This reminds me of the brilliant, terrifying and maddening documentary "Grizzly Man" from a few years ago.

Randy wild hares closed an airport runway in Milan, Italy. (One account described them as mating.)

Last, a rainbow over Uptown. Two black-crowned night-herons, a rare treat in our neighborhood, had just flown Southeast toward the lake in the same direction of the 'bow.








2 comments:

Steve said...

I loved Grizzly Man, which I would have described as haunting. Timothy Treadwell reminded me of Carson from Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. Why did you find it maddening?

UptownRooster said...

Haunting is a great description, especially the way it ends and that it was caught on tape. It also confirmed for me that a wild grizzly is plain terrifying.

Maddening because Treadwell loved the bears so much but believed living with them was the best way to help them. I admire his passion, but not his methods.