Thursday, June 21, 2007

Crab problem

I've referred to Outside Magazine a few times on this blog in the past. Overall, I enjoy the magazine and think that it often reflects my interests in the outdoors. I do, though, tire of its focus on subjects including fitness, which it features seemingly every issue. I understand why fitness is important to endeavors including surfing, climbing and cycling, but I don't find it interesting reading. Also, much of the gear it features is way beyond anything a moderate-income individual could afford. Anyway, there was an interesting story, "Castaway," recently about a guy who decides to strand himself on a remote island near Panama. Outside's Web site features video from the adventure. Check out Episode 3, which is hilarious. I've been eaten alive by mosquitoes, so I can relate to the sand flies to some degree. Yet this guy doesn't even have bug spray. The video also reconfirms my fear of crabs. I was once in the Bahamas when crabs were EVERYWHERE. Thousands were crawling over nearly ever surface imaginable. I went to bed one night and woke from a nightmare shouting "There are crabs...on the walls." Thank you, Thayer, for showing that I'm not the only one.

No comments: