Saturday, October 6, 2007

Gnat attack

Blogging live from Saint Paul, Minn. We're just blocks from the Mississippi River, which winds its way through the Twin Cities. The day began at the Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge, just a short drive from here. This is a land of rich bottomland forest and high bluffs. Highlights from a walk on a hot day included two bald eagles. One was flying with a duck in its talons. There also were hundreds of american coots and a pocket of warblers, some of which appeared to be yellow-rumped warblers. Warblers in fall are drably colored and notoriously difficult to identify.

I've been asked to offer opinions on the Cleveland Indians' baseball games against the New York Yankees. I will give the people what they want. There will be more to come, especially if the Tribe makes it to the American League Championship Series.

Before the series, I thought to myself: the Yankees have an unbelievable lineup, but the Indians have better pitchers. Then I thought of the simple axiom that good pitching beats good hitting. That's when I decided the Tribe would win the series. I also looked at the teams' entire rosters. The Yankees field a fantasy-quality offensive lineup, but their pitchers are either very old or very young and inexperienced. They have big names like Mussina, Clemens and Pettitte, but not much substance.

Typical Midwesterner that I am, I soon became enraged by the East Coast bias I perceived regarding the Yankees. All of the pre-series (and season-long) focus was on the Yankees and their running mates the Boston Red Sox. Young Yankees like Joba Chamberlain and Shelly Duncan had already become ESPN-generated household names. The Indians' phenoms, Fausto Carmona and Asdrubal Cabrera, both of whom had far, far superior seasons, were completely off ESPN's map. So when a swarm of midges caused the Yankees to wilt yesterday I had little sympathy. I think it was a back-breaker. Good bye, Yankees.

3 comments:

Steve said...

The people are pleased.

And also a bit concerned . . .

2.75 games into the 2006 NBA Finals, I was ready to say goodbye to the Miami Heat. That didn't work out too well for Maverick fans. I hope for your sake that this premature farewell to the Yankee nation does not anger the Gods (who have a history with Cleveland, no?).

Steve said...

If Cleveland does prevail, I hope you give some thanks to the Rangers for the contributions we have made to your success. I love to see Kenny Lofton doing well (highest batting average in the series for either team, I believe). You may remember he was playing for Texas earlier this year. We also sent Pronk your way after we'd raised him up from a boy (we called him "Pronky" then).

Enjoy!

UptownRooster said...

After Game 3, I'm eating some (american) crow. I still don't think the Yankees have enough. Yes, we in Cleveland should never take anything for granted.