Wednesday, February 28, 2007

February 28, 2007

I know there are a lot of holes in the Bobber-Everest theory. For one, why isn't hunting included? Surely it is one of the riskiest outdoor endeavors out there. And if fishing is included, hunting should be, too. Also, my definition of outdoor recreation is unclear. Basketball, backgammon and badminton also constitute outdoor recreation among many others.

And what do I have against bobber fishing to rate it even lower than walking? I actually first fished using a bobber and a cheap Daiwa rod and reel. It's an easy introduction to the sport. I suppose bobber fishing is emblematic of the laziest recreation I can imagine. The bobber fishing I envision is done from shore on a very still body of water. You don't even have to hold the rod but can set it on the ground and wait for the bobber to move.

In other news, Illinois is staging a contest to determine the state's seven wonders. Sauk Valley Newspapers printed a list of the seven wonders of the Sauk Valley. I came up with a list of the seven wonders of Uptown: the vacant lot behind our house, the intersection of Lawrence Avenue and Sheridan Road, Montrose Point, the Romanian communist party headquarters building, the Death Star, Essanay Studios and Majestic for Men. I will be explaining these choices in future posts.

No comments: